Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 23rd, Princeton to Osoyoos

Today began well. We were up at 6:30am and left at 8am. At about 2 k out, Vanessa got a flat. I rode ahead to send Alan back. I continued riding for another 25k until Alan pulled by and told me Vanessa’s tire was blown. I rode back with Alan were we found out the bike shop didn’t have her size. Brett and Vanessa rode the tandom bike until Alan could go to Osoyoos to get another tire. He ended up being awhile because he had to go to the next town. I ended up waiting in a rest area for two hours. I’ve found out the my helmet make a great pillow when on.

After Vanessa had fixed her tire, we were off again. Brett and Vanessa stopped for a sandwich, and I continued on as I had already eaten. The ride was great for the first 80k or so. However, towards Osoyoos, the hills never stopped. I ended up arriving in town about an hour and a half earlier than the others, so I fell asleep at a truck stop. The only thing better than seeing peoples reaction to your attire at an IHOPE, is at a truck stop.

I’m pretty tired from today’s ride, although not sore. Brett’s knee seems to be doing very well. He’s icing it whenever he gets a chance. Tomorrow is Anarchist Mountain. This will be one of the most difficult rides, if not the most difficult of the trip. My GPS says that I’m burning around 5000 calories per ride. We’re eating every chance we can get. My staple during the day is Reese Peanut Butter Cups.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Hey Kelly the osoyoos mountain is the worse one yet. You still have the paulson and salmo/creston to do and those are just as bad as the hope/princeton.

TexMex said...

Hang in there you guys!
What a great thing it is that you are doing!

Shabana said...

Hey Kelly!
Your trip sounds amazing! I hope things keep going well and i'll be reading your blog constantly!
Good luck, keep up the wonderful work!

Sure said...

Enjoy the mountain...don't forget to stop and look back when you get to the top. Cheers,
Loralee

JayPan said...

That sounds hilarious, sorry I didn't see you off before you left - make it back in one (possibly 2) piece(s)

Salish F-W said...

yepp sorry Kelly, I forgot to warn you lovely folk about castlegar/creston as those are great times as well... Osoyoos has the best view tho in my opinion! Once you hit Creston the next couple weeks will be much easier! (I imagine)